Sunday, April 21, 2019

Take a Break from Technology - DETACH

I love technology and seem to use it every day on a regular basis.  Sometimes, you need a break.  A break from your job, tv, people, technology, and life.  I really need a nap and a "time out".  After I slept about 12 hours, I decided I wanted to do something productive.

I decided that I would redo my parents' old bench.  I remember my mom working on it every few years to make it new again.  She taught me how to "redo" things, or now they call it "DIY".  She was very handy and taught herself how to do things.  This was BEFORE YouTube and home improvement shows.  She was very clever, asked questions at the hardware store, read a lot, and was super good at reading directions on packages and tweaking them to make things her own.




I decided I would channel my "inner Dorothy" and gave it a whirl!  I tried to get the old screws off, but I am sure they have been there for over 20, maybe 30 ish years.  Luckily a friend used a reciprocating saw and cut them off for me.



Then, I took the old board to the hardware store and was able to match the size.  The board come in 8 feet pieces.  I had to pay for them first, but they did cut them in half for me for free.

I purchased them at Lowe's for 1.85 each - needed 4 of them - so that makes 8 pieces, which means there is one left over.  I picked out the 7 best ones.  ($8.01 total with tax.)  Item #4512, 1x3x8 Spruce Pine.



The boards needed a light sanding.  (I used one of those little hand-held sponge looking thing.  I don't know the official name.... "sanding sponge" maybe?  I already had this in my little tool bag.)

The edges were a little rough from where they were cut in half.  Also, I wanted to make sure there weren't any rough spots and that the knots were smooth.  Sanding them down took about 30 minutes.

Then, I used Thompson's WaterSeal (FREE - because I already had it on hand from some other project I did a long time ago) to seal the boards.  I decided that I wanted to make them a natural color.  My mom had painted her a brown color.




It's always good to enlist a helper/supervisor.  Gizmo gets anxious when I put on shoes, so I decided to take him outside too.  Since he thinks he is "human" and "doesn't do grass" he elected to get in the stroller.  He liked watching while getting a little sunshine on his face.  #Gizmothehumandog




Next, I had to repaint the sides and base of the bench.  I used a basic black spray paint.  I love to spray paint things.  I am not sure why - but it seems very satisfying to spray paint.  I am sure that I used to much, because I get a little wild with it.  I gave it a couple coats.  I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any spots and I wanted it to be shiny.  (AGAIN - FREE  - because I already had some on hand from a previous project.)




Next, I put the boards in place.  I wondered if it really needed the screws or bolts in it.  I think it needs them so that the wood will stay in place.  I want it to be sturdy so people can sit on it while on my front porch.  I am not the "outdoorsy" type, but now that I have a new cool bench, I might have to go outside every once in a while.



I decided to try some small screws (FREE - had these 2 on hand) so that I didn't have to drill holes or do anything extra.  I already had them, so I tried it.  They seemed to work on the top.



I need washers or something so they will stay in place on the seat part.  Those pre-drilled holes in the iron are bigger on the seat than on the back.



I thought I would make a quick trip to Home Depot on the way home from work on day.  Well, they have a big selection of screws, but I think people steal them. SHAME SHAME.   

There were bags with the "wrong" number in the package.  For instance, it might say 6 - but there were only 5.  You have to double check these bags very carefully or  you will be disappointed when you get home.

I wasn't sure what to buy, but luckily I did get some that worked for this project.  I bought 1/4 flat galvanized washers that were 13 cents each.  I needed 10 of them. That was a $1.30 each.  I also bought 2 packages of 6 sheet metal screws.  They are #12 x 1 inch.  They were $1.18 per package. 



It was a little difficult to hold everything in place, I could have used an extra set of hands.  




These seemed to work perfectly.  I used my handy dandy power screwdriver.  I love that thing!  It was a great investment.  I have used it several times over the past couple of year.  If you don't have a DeWalt tool, you need to get yourself one!  (I purchased mine at Home Depot during the Black Friday sales.)



NOW TECHNOLOGY IS NEEDED.......

I decided to make it a "Memorial Bench" and dedicate it to my parents.  I used my vinyl cutting machine (Cricut) to make the letters.  I used glitter 651.  It didn't want to stick at all.  I had to apply the letters one at a time.  It took a super long time.  They are a bit crooked, but at least they are on there.  I did add a little bit of Mod Podge over the top to ensure they would stay on the wood.  (Fingers crossed!)




I miss my parents so much!  They were annoying sometimes, (LOL) but I loved them dearly!  I used to tell them they put the "FUN" in dysFUNctional.  :)

It was SUPER FUN to redo this bench and it didn't take very long.  It was an awesome weekend-ish project, that was enjoyable and a great way to help me unwind and detach from the real world.

I surely hope my parents would be proud!

Here's the side-by-side comparison!

BEFORE........


AFTER...........


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sewing Extension Table No Tech Needed

My newest hobby is sewing.  I have watched numerous videos on different things.  The more I watch and learn, the more I realize that I neede...