Sunday, June 24, 2018

Crafting, Technology, and Teaching

Crafting, Technology, and Teaching are all passions of mine.  When all three collide it makes for a great day!  It was a really rainy day recently and I didn't want to do much, so I decided to craft.

I decided to make pencils... yes, pencils.  Extra large pencils, as a matter of fact.

I went to the local hardware store and purchased yard stakes.  How weird is that?  You know you are a teacher when every day objects remind you of school supplies!!

These yard stakes are pointy and are very dangerous..... because you could get a splinter.  Be careful!  They need to be sanded, sanded, and sanded.  So be sure to get one of those hand sand sponge things.  I don't think that is the technical term, but that is close enough.



Sand it down, and then do a little more just to be sure.

Then, you will need craft paint, a Sharpie, and some painter's tape and as you guessed it, I had all that on hand. :)

Next, put painters tape at the end so you make the yellow go almost to the end.  Also figure out where you want the "band" and the "eraser".  Tape off the end, so you only have to paint yellow part all at the same time.  Let it dry in between coast.  I painted two coats with a few touch ups.  (I waited about 15 minutes.)




Next, use the black Sharpie to color the end and the band.

After that, use the paint to make the "eraser".



Lastly, this is where the technology part comes into play.  Use your vinyl cutting machine to make the name, sayings, or decorations.





I did think about adding two eye bolts with some twin to make it so that you can hang it.  I didn't have any at home, so I didn't do that part.

It's great if you have a little helper! :)



Hope you liked this quick DIY teacher gifts!!  If you don't want to make them, they retail for $15 each plus shipping.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sewing Extension Table No Tech Needed

My newest hobby is sewing.  I have watched numerous videos on different things.  The more I watch and learn, the more I realize that I neede...