Sunday, November 10, 2019

TEACHERS NEED A BREAK: How to Make an Oven Dress

I am thankful for the technology we have these days! I remember my mom being so upset over her old sewing machine and how much trouble it gave her. 

Technology has come a LONG way over the past 40 years.  Once I saw how "new and improved" sewing machines had become, I decided that I would give sewing a try.  Over the last few months I have made several things.  It has become my latest hobby. 

I need a stress reliever with all the requirements of my teaching job and being in grad school.  Sewing is fun, relaxing, and productive. 

Here is how I make the oven dress:

1. Cut out 4 of the pattern.  TWO are from a pretty (outside) pattern and TWO are from a plain (inside) pattern.


2. RST - Right Sides Together
One of the pretty and on plain.  Do that for both.


3.  Sew the NECK and the outside edges together.  Do not sew the two straight top lines or the bottom.  (The tops will be connected together later and the bottom is where the towel will be later.)


Don't go all the way to the end, so that you can turn it under and it will make a nice hem.


4. Clip the neck and on the sides where it curves, so that when you turn it right side out, it will look smooth.

5. Iron the bottom edges.

6. Turn right side out and iron flat.



7. Put two completed pieces together to attach the tops.  RST (Right Sides Together) and sew each of the lines.  Be sure to back stitch when you stop and start.



8. Flip over and admire your work. :)

9.  Insert the towel on each end.  I like to use basting spray so that it stays in place. 
You can use a decorative stitch since the thread will be noticed here.



DONE! Hang on your oven or towel rack.  Use it daily! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Sewing Extension Table No Tech Needed

My newest hobby is sewing.  I have watched numerous videos on different things.  The more I watch and learn, the more I realize that I neede...