Saturday, August 3, 2019

Technology Has Even Advanced Sewing Machines!

WELLL.... 
This time of year is rough because it reminds me sadly that my daddy is not here with me. (It was 2 years ago on the 25th of July that he went to Heaven.  That was the worst day of my life.  I knew that my life had changed forever!! 

He had been my best friend for so long.  He was always willing to do anything I wanted to do.  He was willing to go to paint, make crafts, go shopping, travel, go to teacher conferences, stay up late and talk, listen to me complain, rejoice in my successes, any and everything I wanted to do. 

He was always willing to help me whenever he could - even when he had arthritis in his hands, he would help with laundry.  I think he liked to fold clothes.  Even though he walked with two canes he would help move furniture or sweep the kitchen.... or when he was on dialysis, he was willing to help make scarves for the students in my class or make a wreath to occupy our time.  I miss him like crazy every day!! (Gizmo misses him too.)

Daddy always wanted me to learn to sew, but I wasn't really interested.  My mom had an old sewing machine - which is a nice piece of furniture, yes I kept it!



Sewing just didn't seem like an easy thing to do.  She usually fussed at the machine, because it wasn't doing what she wanted it to do.

But...... recently I decided that I would TRY and learn.....and took an introduction course which was two hours long.  It was how to make a tote bag.  HELLO?  That is right up my alley - because I love tote bags - I guess it is a teacher thing! It was more fun than I expected. I was HOOKED! 

OKAY DADDY! You were right - it is fun! I think part of it was fun because the sewing machine has ADVANCED SOOOOO MUCH!  It is computerized.   This is where technology plays a BIG part! It is so cool.  It does most of the "work" for you.  Of course you have to know what you are doing and how to do it, but it does the work.  



A few years back, Daddy and I picked out his shirts to use for a quilt and he was going to "help" me back then "try" and make a quilt.  I am glad that we didn't attempt making a quilt, because it is a process.  I know it would have taken us a lot longer to do it than necessary.  When we did projects, we could get side tracked, he usually had some "weird" idea about how to do it (sometimes those ideas were brilliant) and I am sure we would have had lots of laughs.

The reason we thought to pick out his shirts was because long ago we had one made with my mom's shirts.  She actually had started a "box" of items back in the 90s before she got sick.  She had saved some things from when I was little and some of her clothes.  After she passed in December 2009, I started gathering things and added to her box.  A few years later, I had one of her friends make a quilt for me.  It is so cool.  It is for those super cold winter days.  It is double sided.  It is a  "rag" quilt on one side and regular on the other.  



We really never did get around to making a quilt or even thinking about it (we were too busy running off on our travel adventures) and so a long while ago I looked for someone to make it.  That didn't work out, (the person backed out) so I looked for a company. Well, they don't send your scraps back, so that was not going work for me.  I want ever single scrap of the clothing because there are so many more things you can make with clothes.  I'm not a hoarder, I am a recycle-er!  I have always loved bright colors and the crazy patterns of quilts - so who know what I will do!

During the summer....... I decided to take a LEAP, a BIG LEAP and JUST DO IT MYSELF!  WHAT???!!  That sounds so crazy, but oh well - why not?  I decided to throw caution to the wind.  I did a search and found a place that does classes.  First, I took the intro to sewing class.  I was amazed at how well the "tote bag" class went.  The nice lady at Sew Houston by the name of Yolanda was a SUPER TEACHER!  I actually did a good job!!

Then, I kinda felt like it was a sign from him to do this because I saw on her website she does quilt classes and after asking her questions and really pondering it over, I knew that is what I was supposed to do.  I will be forever grateful to her for having that class and helping me along the way of this adventure.

I know that he would be proud!! I didn't cry til the very end when it was all put together and I was just wishing he could be here to see it! I know he would love it!  Gizmo the Human Dog LOVES IT!



I just have to give an extra big BIG SHOUT OUT TO Sew Houston for being the BEST SEWING TEACHER EVER! (If you want to learn to sew - go see Yolanda. It was worth my 80 mile drive round trip each time!!)

P.S. I now own a sewing machine, (Janome DC2019), lots of tools, thread, and more thread in several colors, bobbins, a rack to hold that thread, sewing basket, etc. WHO AM I? LOL

STAY TUNED FOR THE HOW TO INFORMATION!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Sewing Extension Table No Tech Needed

My newest hobby is sewing.  I have watched numerous videos on different things.  The more I watch and learn, the more I realize that I neede...